Monday, June 24, 2013

Dedication

I am a puppy raiser. (You’re thinking, “Who woulda thunk, your blog title totally doesn’t give that away”) Yes, I am a puppy raiser for Guide Dogs for the Blind. I find this astounding.
In order to get to this point, it took many words, a whirlwind of emotions, a large quantity of thoughts, much anxiety, a few tears, several moments of bated breath, a streak of pure good luck mixed in with a few good ideas, a lot of hard work and dedication, and finally, so much waiting.
I can’t say how long it took to be done being a “soon-to-be puppy raiser”, because I truly don’t know. Depending on the perspective it could be six years, three years, a semester, seventy-seven days, or even fourteen years.
Whatever amount of time it was, I pressed through much of it fixated on reaching this one moment of my lifetime; receiving a puppy. It was abstract to imagine the realization of a concept which had obstacles that seemed to reduce the likelihood of actually getting there to something infinitely close to zero. Beyond that, it was hard to imagine that some day, there would be an actual, tangible puppy with me, who would have a particular name and personality, and that I would wake up every morning without some impossibly long seeming number silently hissing into my ear the number of days left...
It seemed improbable, that I, a typical person living a typical life, would become a member of a group of some of the most lucky people in the word; people who’s lives are touched by assistance dogs.
In order to become one of the luckiest people in the world, I had to be dedicated. I fought my way through rough waters, more often than not, failing to accomplish what I hoped to achieve, but not giving up, nevertheless. I will say, that in the end, many things wound up turning out a different way than I had originally dreamed of, but everything is perfect the way it is, for now. Anyways, I have been dedicated, and that has payed off. I will continue to be dedicated, in order to fulfill the ongoing mission of a puppy raiser. But, so very much more importantly than what I have done to get myself here, I must thank everybody who has helped me on my way:
I would never have had the motivation or inspiration to take the first steps of a long path to becoming a puppy raiser without each of you dedicated bloggers, who all share the triumphs and the setbacks, the beauty and the pain, of puppy raising. Every writer who’s blog shows up on my blogroll should feel honored that they helped add another puppy raiser to this world. Without the help of each one of you, I wouldn’t be a puppy raiser, and this first post, a collection of words about dedication, would never have come to fruition.

I dedicate this journal of my life as a puppy raiser, first and foremost to you. Thank you.

Elijah, in particular, I dedicate this blog to you, for almost two years ago, through your writing, being the first one to show me that yes, I can. For showing me that it is possible for me, at my age, despite the obstacles, to become a part of this miraculous journey. Not only that I can, but that I really should. Thank you for being the spark of inspiration that started it all. It is because of you that I am a puppy raiser.
I dedicate this blog to my Guide Dogs leader, who has been the person who made it ultimately possible for me to be a puppy raiser. I am so lucky to have you in my life.
I dedicate this blog to Guide Dogs for the Blind, for the work that they do to bring people with blindness and visual impairments independence. I am grateful for the gift that they have given to me, which is the privilege of helping to further this mission.
I dedicate this blog to my parents and family, who have overall, been supportive of my ambitions as a puppy raiser. I am grateful beyond words for that. Thank you.
I dedicate this blog to my incredible humanities teacher who taught me how to love to write. Not only to practice writing, but force my way into it's secrets. I continue and will continue to grow as a writer because of the excellent foundation you have given me. If I ever get any readership, know that I can thank you.

I sincerely thank you all.

In addition:
I dedicate this blog to everyone who becomes my puppies’ future partners, so they can experience the moments of their dog’s lives that they spent waiting for their dog to be ready for them. I hope that someday you will read this, and get to go through our adventures alongside us. I know that you will love your dog as much I love my puppy.
I dedicate this blog to everyone out there who will someday become a puppy raiser, whether you are counting the number of days left, or you just stumbled across my blog while looking into ways to give back. I hope that my journey combined with the journeys of others will show you how rich and fulfilling the life of a puppy raiser can be. I hope to see you join the communities of both puppy raisers and bloggers.

Thank you to everyone who has been a part of my path to puppy raising, and to everyone who will continue to be a part of this journey. This blog is for you.



This is Knox, my first puppy for Guide Dogs for the Blind. He was born on April 16, 2013, to parents Jaika and Parson. These photos were taken on June 13th, 2013 the day that I received him. Note that now that he has settled in, he is no longer as sleepy.

Knox is on the right side of the frame, resting his head on a Nylabone toy.

Knox lying down, his head about in the center of the frame, Nylabone in front of him.
He's tied-down and asleep.

Knox is on the left of the frame, lying down, on tie-down. A toy is a few inches in front of him.
His head is down and he is looking up in a very innocent and adorable manner.

Knox is lying down his body extending from the left.
A Nylabone is in the background. He's sleepy.


Knox the Guide Dog Puppy
Knox is lying down, his face and paws visible on the right side, a toy to his left.
He's very cozy.





10 comments:

  1. Welcome and congratulations on puppy raising!! You are in for a very rewarding adventure - welcome to the family. I am so excited to see Knox grow (great pictures, photographing black dogs is hard but you got the touch). Thank you for your nice comments on my blog - I sincerely appreciate it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so excited to be a part of the puppy raising family!
      You should see how many pictures I took that didn't turn out in the slightest. I think it took about 70 not so great photos to get these five good ones. Now that he isn't so sleepy all the time, the ratio is even larger. I sure do need pictures though, because he's going to grow so fast!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I am honored to see that I'm in your blog roll! How awesome! Welcome to the puppy raising family! You are in for an incredible adventure that is full of many ups, downs, dips and turns. Knox is adorable and I can't wait to watch his progress! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel so delighted to be a part of the puppy raising family. I had no idea that anybody would read, let alone comment on this first post, so I feel honored that you did.
      I'm going to post tomorrow to share about all of the ups and downs, dips and turns that I have already been through with Knox. There are so many more to come and I know that the time will fly so quickly, and in the blink of an eye, Knox will be off on his adventures as someone else's dog.

      P.S: I used to live in Washington too! In about the most Pacific Northwest corner of it. The first time I ever heard about puppy raising was in Washington when I was really little and there was a CCI puppy at my church. I had no clue at the time that someday I'd be a puppy raiser too!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations and welcome to the family! I too waited for years before finally getting Novel, my first PIT. I totally get that feeling...just the ache - the NEED to raise a puppy, to make a difference, to change a life - and then he's finally there and it doesn't seem possible :) Knox is positively adorable and I can't wait to follow his progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I already feel like a part of the family after receiving such a warm welcome after only one post! Puppy raisers are the best. As I read your perfect description of the feeling before raising, I felt it all over again, but this time, with a slightly different tone, because now I am finally there. It's still a little surreal that I am actually a puppy raiser. I've been waiting for so long, and now, there is nothing to wait for anymore. Now it's just me willing time to let me to cling to each moment.

      I love your blog! Your posts are interesting, fun, and informative. Novel is very handsome, and I can tell that you work really hard with him. :) I was really struck by your post when Novel gave you a medical alert. He's so in tune with you to realize that. You should be proud of yourself and the puppy that you are raising.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post! It was quite the roller coaster of waiting, longing, almost in reach then swiftly taken away, and more waiting before I joined the puppy raising family, so I totally understand you. As hard as it was, I know that I am better for the lessons in patience I have learned through this. Because I waited so long for my first puppy, it feels surreal to already have #2.

    Knox is a cutie! He and Moray are only 2 days apart as well! It will be fun to see them grow up "together." I'll add you to the blog roll :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked my post! I've read about your journey towards puppy raising, and I can't imagine how painful that would be to have everything taken away when you were SO close. I didn't realize that Knox and Moray have such close birthdays! It will be interesting to see how they are alike and different as they mature. Moray is adorable! Unbelievably so!

      I commented a while back on your blog, before I had my account set up. I said that I'd wanted to raise for CCI, until I found out that they wouldn't let me take the puppy to school, so I ended up with GDB, which I originally hadn't hoped for, because of their outdated training techniques. It's getting much better. Recent additions include: food refusal is taught with food reward instead of leash correction, (SO grateful for that one) and they just added a great food thing for GL intros. These things are wonderful, but still they still have a long way to go. I keep thinking with Knox of all of the things that he is learning so much slower because we can't use food. I'm confident that they will get there someday though.

      Thanks for adding me to your blog roll! You're the first one to do that!

      Delete
    2. Haha, I had a sneaking suspicion that his might be you ;-). I'm so glad you have your blog up and your puppy!!!

      Delete
    3. Yup, you were right! :) I'm glad too!

      Delete